what to bring

The following information is a guideline only and is provided for our visitors entering Zone 22A, the Cedar River Watershed area.

Entering Canada

Citizens or legal, permanent residents of the United States require passports or visas and can usually cross the US/Canada border without difficulty or delay. To assist officers expediting the process, carry a birth, baptismal, or voter's certificate. Proof of residence may also be required. Carry identification with your address on it. For example, a driver's license.

Entry By Private Vehicle

The entry of vehicles and vacation trailers into Canada for touring purposes is generally a quick and routine matter. Customs permits, if required, are issued at the time of entry. Rental vehicles or trailers are also admissible, however the vehicle registration forms should be carried together with a copy of the rental agency. Visitors entering Canada with vehicles not registered to themselves should carry a letter from the owner indicating authorized use of the vehicle.

Personal Baggage

Visitors may bring personal baggage into Canada duty and tax free, provided all such items are declared to Canadian Customs on arrival and are not subject to restriction. Personal baggage may include such items as: fishing tackle, rods, boats, motors, snowmobiles, camping, golf, tennis and scuba diving gear, radios, television sets, cameras and other similar items to be used in Canada during the visit.

Alcoholic beverages may be brought into Canada duty-free if visitors meet the age requirement of province of entry (Ontario is 19 years of age). The amount cannot exceed 1.1 litres (40 ounces) of liquor, wine or 24 x 355 ml (12 ounce) cans or bottles of beer, ale or their equivalent. Once inside Canada additional alcohol may be purchased at any liquor outlet or brewer's retail stores. Remember, it is an offence to consume alcohol outside a residence or licensed establishment. Driving motorized vehicles, including boats while impaired is illegal and you may be convicted. You can be charged for refusing to take a breathalyzer test or having a breathalyzer reading greater than 80 mg.

Persons 19 years of age or older may import 50 cigars, 200 cigarettes and 200 grams of manufactured tobacco duty-free.

Visitors may bring food with them for their own use, without Customs assessment, provided the quantity is consistent with the duration and nature of the visitor's stay.

Canada Border Services may change the above information at any time. Please visit the Canada Border Services website here, for full details on what you may bring across the border.


Domestic dogs and cats may be brought into Canada provided each animal is accompanied by a licensed veterinarian certificate identifying the animal and certifying the animal has been vaccinated against rabies during the preceding 36 month period.


Handguns are not allowed entry into Canada. Visitors with rifles, shotguns, muzzle loaders or archery firearms must be registered with an outfitter. Firearms are only allowed during regular hunting periods. 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting purposes can be imported duty-free.

Hunting & Fishing

Hunting and fishing is governed by federal, provincial and territorial laws. Non-residents are required to obtain all licenses required for hunting or fishing. Licenses are available throughout the Cedar River Watershed area.

Drivers Licence & Vehicle Insurance

United States driver's licenses are valid in Canada. Vehicle insurance is compulsory in all provinces. Visiting motorists are required to produce evidence of financial responsibility in the event of an accident. US motorists traveling in Canada are advised to obtain a Canadian Non-Resident Inter-Provincial Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card, which is accepted as evidence of financial responsibility. It is available only in the United States through US insurance companies. Minimum liability insurance in Canada is $200,000. The Canadian Automobile Association provides full membership services to members of the American Auto Association.

Radar Detection Devices

The possession and use of radar detection services are illegal in Ontario. It is suggested these units be rendered inoperative and placed inside luggage when visitors are traveling. We recommend you do not place them on the seat. If you are stopped, you may be charged and they will be taken from you.

Seat Belts & Headlights

The use of seat belts by vehicle drivers and all passengers is mandatory in all of Canada. Ontario residents are accustomed to the use of headlights during daylight hours. We suggest you use them, as it has been proven to reduce accidents.

Hospital & Medical Services

Visitors are strongly urged to obtain health insurance before leaving their home country as it is possible that your health insurance does not extend coverage outside your country of residence. For further information contact your travel or insurance agent.

Travelling With Children

We recommend bringing birth certificates for the children be carried with you while crossing the border. If traveling in more than one vehicle do not separate yourself from your children. This may cause problems if the vehicle in which the child is traveling is stopped and questioned. Carry a letter of authorization if traveling with only one parent or guardian. Carrying a copy of a marriage certificate and family photo is also helpful. Both US and Canadian Customs Officers are on the lookout of abducted children, so please be prepared to be questioned.

Remember ...

If you are stopped and questioned at the border, answer any questions in a brief and courteous manner. Do not volunteer additional information. If a question does seem inappropriate, do not question the Customs Officer. (ie. may ask the same question more than once). Do not become alarmed if you are asked to pull in for a search. As long as you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

Converting To Metric

Canada has converted to the metric system of measurement. It is not difficult, just different. Here are some hints for handling kilometers (km), litres (L), and degrees Celisius (0C). Distances and speed limits are posted in kilometers. A kilometer is about 0.6 of a mile, and a mile is 1.6 km. To find the approximate mile equivalent, drop the unit or right hand digit of the km number and multiply by 6. For instance: 100 km/hour = 10 x 6 = 60 miles/hour 90 km to Cedar Lake = 9 x 6 = 54 miles.